Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Getting off the merry-go-round...


So here is my child, panicked, spinning, surrounded by noise, off level ground on the merry-go-round at the Gwinnett County Fair. So, although this is cute and her first ride of this sort since being fully conscious, I cannot help but relate this to life. Life with kids (and sometimes without) can be very much likened to a merry-go-round. We are not meant to spin, panic, or be off level ground. We are meant to be still, calm, and with a right mind. That is where we find peace. (we are to fight and do warfare sometimes as well, but that is for another day). We, however, choose to enter this ride of life for many reasons. We feel pressured to be busy by society, we aren't satisfied with the hand we are dealt so we try to fill the void with all our activities. Sometimes we don't like what our mind is telling us when we are still. Sometimes we don't like what God is telling us when we are still. Most of all, we don't want to give up control because we don't know what life will be like if we actually step out of the routine. We want our plans, our busyness, our "noise." Aren't you tired, though? I know I am. Plus, I am getting a little bored with the round and round routine. Here are some verses to motivate you to NOT MOVE!
"Meditate within your heart and on your bed, and be still."
"He calms the storm, so that its waves are still. Then they are glad because they are quiet; so He guides them to their desired haven."
"When I awake I am still with you."
"Be still and know that I am God."
There is actually a lot of freedom in knowing that God is directing our steps. It takes the pressure off us. How in the world are you supposed to hear God's voice and know what direction to take when you are on that noisy ride? How can you focus when you are spinning out of control? You might spend a lot of time talking to God, but how much time do you spend listening? These are the things I have to ask myself intermittently throughout my week to hone myself back in on the real point. Giving Him my life means stepping off my routine and planning to go in his direction. There are still some things we have to do day after day after day as women, but there are a lot of things that are not necessary that we cram in there too. So take some time to get your "land legs" back and spend some time in His Word and listening to his still calm voice.


No comments: