You all know the mastercard commercial. They name the prices of certain objects and then when they get to that one thing that is the most special, they say, "Priceless!" We would all like for those around us to think that we are priceless. We want our worth to far exceed the material things of this earth. As women we want to be cherished and treasured by our husbands. As friends, we want to be carried and important. As mothers, we want to be irreplaceable and adored. We want to be priceless! Or do we? What does it mean to have worth? Proverbs 31 talks about what kind of woman has great worth. It says, "Who can find a virtuous wife? For her worth is far above rubies." It goes on to list a grand total of accomplishments, attitudes, and behaviors that encompass a wife of great worth. Oops...so what if I don't have all these qualities? It does say at the bottom though, "But a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised." Okay, I have that one down. I definitely fear God, but I still come up feeling short? Maybe also the people in your house have questioned your worth with their actions. "I hate you mom!" "So what did you do all day, honey?" "I'm sorry I did not call, I just forgot." I used to get really lost in a cycle of lack of self-worth. I wanted to feel priceless to my husband and those around me. I wanted to be central, cared for, adored. It changed for me one day. At the risk of sounding gross...I was sitting in the bathroom one day, crying because of some hurtful things said by my husband. I was repeating to myself that "I am just not worth changing for, I am not worth being loved unconditionally by him...etc" The whole woe is me. Then out of nowhere I heard this still, small voice. "I thought you were worth dying for. I loved you so much that I died for you." From that day forward, things changed for me. Whenever I would feel unloved and uncherished, I would remind myself of that moment. It changed everything for me. I suddenly realized that I was not priceless. It really, really cost something to love me. "For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit which are God's." There is always that selfish part of me that wants all the love and adoration from those I love on earth as well, but God has taught me that his love far exceeds anything on earth. For that I am eternally grateful. No matter what I get done every day. No matter what I look like every day...ha, ha, my worth does not change. This principle alone will change your life and take away that empty feeling when you meet rejection on this earth.
Okay...now the other half. We are bought...doesn't that mean that we belong to someone now? "Therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's." Sometimes I don't want to do things God's way, but overall the action of his love compels me to honor him. There is a song that says. "This is my desire, this is my return to be used by you...So I give my life to you." It might seem like a sacrifice, but living under this great love makes me want to give something back. It does not earn me anything. It is just the love relationship that I have always been looking for. Except...he does it perfectly, and I don't! "For the love of Christ compels us, because we judge thus: that if One died for all, then all died; and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again." This back and forth love relationship is how we glorify God with our body and spirit. If you do not feel compelled to follow and live your life for him instead of yourself, you might question if you have truly received the full love of Christ. You maybe have not recognized your worth in him. The Bible is clear that Christ's love COMPELS us! It will not feel like a sacrifice...however we are called to sacrifice things for him. "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, a broken and contrite heart." It is not broken down into categories about what we are to give up for God. Scripture ultimately calls for us to empty ourselves and be as vessels. We are his dwelling place now. "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is IN you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own." Back to this being bought stuff... It is really comforting however to be empty, because he fills us and changes our lives for good.
So in conclusion...What is your worth? And more importantly, what is God worth to you? Is he priceless?
Okay...now the other half. We are bought...doesn't that mean that we belong to someone now? "Therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's." Sometimes I don't want to do things God's way, but overall the action of his love compels me to honor him. There is a song that says. "This is my desire, this is my return to be used by you...So I give my life to you." It might seem like a sacrifice, but living under this great love makes me want to give something back. It does not earn me anything. It is just the love relationship that I have always been looking for. Except...he does it perfectly, and I don't! "For the love of Christ compels us, because we judge thus: that if One died for all, then all died; and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again." This back and forth love relationship is how we glorify God with our body and spirit. If you do not feel compelled to follow and live your life for him instead of yourself, you might question if you have truly received the full love of Christ. You maybe have not recognized your worth in him. The Bible is clear that Christ's love COMPELS us! It will not feel like a sacrifice...however we are called to sacrifice things for him. "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, a broken and contrite heart." It is not broken down into categories about what we are to give up for God. Scripture ultimately calls for us to empty ourselves and be as vessels. We are his dwelling place now. "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is IN you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own." Back to this being bought stuff... It is really comforting however to be empty, because he fills us and changes our lives for good.
So in conclusion...What is your worth? And more importantly, what is God worth to you? Is he priceless?
No comments:
Post a Comment